Lithomancy or stone divination is the practice reading stones. In some cultures, the casting of stones was believed to be fairly common. However, ancient ancestors didn’t leave us a lot of information about how to read the stones, so many of the specific aspects of the practice have been lost forever.
It is believed that early forms of lithomancy included stones which were polished and inscribed with symbols, perhaps similar to the rune stones or gemstones of different colours. In modern forms of lithomancy, stones are typically assigned symbols connected to the planets, as well as to aspects of personal events, such as luck, love, happiness, etc.
By creating a set of stones with symbols that are significant to you, you can make your own divinatory tool to use for guidance and inspiration. The instructions below are for a simple set using a group of thirteen stones. You can change any of them you like to make the set more readable for you, or you can add to or subtract any of the symbols you wish. It’s your set, so make it as personal as you like.
You’ll need the following:
- Thirteen stones of similar shapes and sizes or gemstones
- A Pouch
Designate each stone as being representative of the following:
- The Sun – power, energy and life
- The Moon – inspiration, psychic ability and intuition
- Saturn – longevity, protection, purification
- Venus – love, fidelity, happiness
- Mercury – intelligence, self-improvement, overcoming bad habits
- Mars – courage, defensive magic, battle, conflict
- Jupiter – money, justice, prosperity
- Earth – security of home, family and friends
- Air – Wishes, hopes, dreams and inspiration
- Fire – Passion, willpower, outside influences
- Water – Compassion, reconciliation, healing and cleansing
- Spirit – Needs of the self, communication with the Divine
- The Universe – our place in the grand scheme of things, on a cosmic level
Mark each stone with a symbol that indicates to you what the stone will represent. You can use astrological symbols for the planetary stones, and other symbols to signify the four elements.
Place the stones in the pouch. To interpret messages from the stones, the simplest way is to draw three stones at random. Place them in front of you, and see what messages they send. Like reading Tarot cards, and other forms of divination, much of lithomancy is intuitive, rather than specific.
You can also use the stones as a meditation tool, and focus on them as a guide. As you become more familiar with your stones, and their meanings, you’ll find yourself better able to interpret their messages.
Love & Light